Social Justice at St. Mark’s speaks to our place in the larger community.
St. Mark’s lives out its mission to the world in many ways; not only do we try to reach out spiritually, we also commit money, food and time–some of our greatest and best resources. We study to become advocates for those who have no voice.
Here are just a few examples.
- The Des Moines Area Religious Council Food Pantry and Emergency Fund
- Monthly dinners for the homeless shelter.
- Contributions to the New Directions Shelter for Women and Children
- Des Moines Area Hunger Hike
- Provide space for 12 Step programs
- We recycle and foster “green” practices at St. Mark’s
We join with other Christians and persons of other faiths in work together for peace and justice in our wider community, including participation in the Ecumenical Peace Committee.
- Episcopal Relief and Development – with special project on Micro Loans and relief assistance in Haiti.
- Swaziland Safe Water Ministry: provides chlorinators for cleaning polluted water sources to our companion diocese in Swaziland. One member collects all the recycling from her workplace and cashes it in for this project.
- Provided solar powered flashlights for people living in refugee camps without electricity.